All aboard at the Whistle Stop
SOLON– In May of 1869 the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Minneapolis Railway Company began construction of a railroad in Burlington. By 1871 the line had extended to Cedar Rapids via West Branch, Elmira, Oasis, Solon and Ely. In 1875 the railroad went into receivership and was sold to the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern in 1876 before being purchased by the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1885.
100 years later, in 1985, the Rock Island Railroad, better known as “The Rock,” was gone, it’s line through Solon completely abandoned and later pulled up.