• The Hangover, Part II (2011, R, Comedy) Two years after the bachelor party in Las Vegas (2009’s “The Hangover”), Phil, Stu, Alan and Doug jet to Thailand for Stu’s wedding. Stu’s plan for a subdued pre-wedding brunch, however, goes seriously awry.
• Midnight in Paris (2011, PG-13, Romantic/Comedy/Fantasy) Romantic comedy about a family traveling to the French capital for business. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better. Starring Owen Wilson. This film has been nominated for four Golden Globe Awards.*
• Fright Night (2011, R, Comedy/Horror) A teenager suspects that his new neighbor is a vampire.
• Dolphin Tale (2011, PG, Family Drama) A story centered on the friendship between a boy and a dolphin whose tail was lost in a crab trap. Starring Morgan Freeman, Ashley Judd, and Harry Connick, Jr.
• Warrior (2011, PG13, Sports Drama) The youngest son of an alcoholic former boxer returns home, where he’s trained by his father for competition in a mixed martial arts tournament.
* For more information about the upcoming film awards season and which nominated films the library has, subscribe to our weekly DVD newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Language program change
This past year, the Solon Public Library experimented with two different online language options. Although, “byki” offered more than 80 different languages, most of the patrons who used these language resources worked with Spanish. The subscription to “byki” recently ended and because it was quite a bit more expensive for the yearly subscription (compared to the other language option of “Tell Me More”), the decision is to continue with the less expensive program. The Solon Library website (www.solon.lib.ia.us) now features the “Tell Me More” language program which offers English, Spanish, French, German, Italian and Dutch languages. Register from your home computer by following the instructions on the website and give it a try.
To supplement this online resource, the library plans to sponsor a weekly Spanish Conversation Group beginning in late January. Look for times and dates in future columns.
Box Tops collection point
The lobby of the Solon library has a collection box for General Mills box tops. These small coupons are found on a variety of products. The national fundraising program is a popular way for schools to supplement their tight budgets.
Students collect the Box Tops For Education coupon found on General Mills products and take them to school. Each coupon is redeemed for 10 cents. If you don’t have students but would like to participate and help out the school, drop your collected items into the collection box in the lobby at the library. Lakeview Elementary is one of the top local earners in 2011, earning $3,880.