NLFD responds to apartment fire
NORTH LIBERTY– No injuries were reported after a fire in the laundry room of a North Liberty apartment building.
The North Liberty Fire Department was dispatched Sunday April 21, at 2:28 p.m. to 20 Penn Oaks Dr. for a building fire. North Liberty Fire Department units arrived and found smoke throughout the structure and heavy smoke coming from an apartment on the third floor.
The apartment was occupied at the time of the fire and did have working smoke detectors which alerted residents.
The resident of the apartment reported a clothes dryer began smoking and called 911. North Liberty fire units were able to extinguish and ventilate the apartment within 16 minutes. The fire was contained to the laundry area and did not extend into any of the walls or ceiling.
The North Liberty Fire Department would like to remind residents to regularly clean out lint traps.
Early property damage and content dollar loss is unknown at this time. There were no reported civilian injuries, or firefighter injuries and the residents were allowed to return to their apartment.
North Liberty units responding to the scene were Engine 112, Quint 114, and command vehicle 115. The North Liberty Fire Department was assisted by the North Liberty Police Department, Coralville Fire Department, Johnson County Ambulance Service and the Iowa State Patrol.