Solon Public Library
Cleaning out DVDs?
If you are cleaning out your DVD shelf to make room for new additions to your collection, why not donate your old ones to the library? Your donation of goods is tax-deductible and we will either add them to our collection, or the Friends of the Library will sell them at a book sale and we can use the money to purchase new releases. It’s a win-win. We’re especially interested in any old exercise DVDs you have that you no longer use– these get a lot of circulation in the winter months as people work on New Year’s resolutions.
Complementing window display
When you stop in to see the holiday window, “Peter and the Wolf,” you can also check out a DVD or CD to listen to the music at home. We have recently added the 2007 film adaptation to our DVD collection, which won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film of that year. Also, we have a music CD with the story narrated by the great Boris Karloff. You may recognize this late actor’s voice from the narration of Dr. Seuss’s “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas.”
Take a panda home for Christmas
Friday, Dec. 20, is the last day to register for the drawing, sponsored by the Friends of the Solon Library, to win a 53-inch plush panda bear. Drawing for the adorable prize will be held on Saturday, Dec. 21, and the winner will be notified by phone.
Friends holiday sale continues
The Friends of the Library annual holiday sale continues during the library’s regular hours through Dec. 23. A selection of quality books, gift items and holiday décor remain available for shoppers at reasonable prices. There are also a few of the popular jar mixes at $5 or less which make great gifts. Starting Thursday, Dec. 19, all items will be reduced to half of the marked price, except for the jar mixes.
Storytime takes a holiday break
Storytime will not be held for the next two weeks due to the Christmas and New Year holidays. Storytime will resume again on Jan. 7, 2014.
The library will be closed for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, Dec. 24 and 25. Normal library hours will resume at noon on Thursday, Dec. 26.
Babygarten is a program designed for children ages newborn to 24 months, which helps to nurture the bond between caregiver and child, increase eye-hand coordination, and develop body awareness. This rhythmic program will enrich your child’s life from the very beginning and provides an excellent foundation for the future. Our next session of Babygarten will run from Feb. 7, 2014, until March 14, 2014, on Fridays at 9:30 a.m. Registration for this program will open on Dec. 30. Each session will feature music, board books, and toys.
New fiction arrivals by favorite authors:
• “NOS4A2” by Joe Hill. A spine-tingling novel of supernatural suspense from the New York Times bestselling author of “Heart-Shaped Box and Horns.”
• “Command Authority” by Tom Clancy with Mark Greaney. The No. 1 New York Times-bestselling author and master of the modern day thriller returns with his All-Star team, featuring president Jack Ryan.
• “Innocence” by Dean Koontz. No. 1 New York Times bestselling author Koontz blends mystery, suspense, and acute insight into the human soul in a masterfully told tale that will resonate with readers forever.
• “Gods of Guilt” by Michael Connelly. Defense attorney Mickey Haller from “The Lincoln Lawyer” returns with a haunting case in the gripping new thriller from No. 1 New York Times bestselling author Connelly.
• “The Good Lord Bird” by James McBride. Winner of the 2013 National Book Award for Fiction, and Oprah Magazine top 10 book of the year, this is the story of a young boy born a slave who joins John Brown’s antislavery crusade– and who must pass as a girl to survive.
Visit the Christmas book display
The black display shelf just inside the library hosts a selection of books with a Christmas theme. Browse the display and pick up a story to get you in the holiday mood. Children’s holiday books are also displayed in the children’s area.