West High students kick off Dance Marathon fundraising Aug. 22
NORTH LIBERTY– Fundraising for this year’s West High School Dance Marathon (WHSDM) will kick off with an FTK (For the Kids) Pool Party on Friday, Aug. 22, at the North Liberty Recreation Center pool.
This event will welcome West High students back to school and help raise awareness for the West vs. Kennedy Gold Out game on Aug. 29. These are the first of many fundraisers that will accumulate toward the ultimate total to be revealed at the WHSDM main event in January.
The pool party will be held from 8-9:30 p.m. with a $5 donation for entrance.
Gold Out activities will take place the following week on Friday, Aug. 29, and include:
• T-shirt sales. In an effort to fill the stadium with gold that night, sales of the special edition Gold Out 2014 design have begun. T-shirts are $10 and tanks are $15, and will be available at the pool party, at West High School from Aug. 19-29, and at the game on Aug. 29. The shirts are intended for not just students but staff and community members as well. Purchase shirts by contacting Jenifer Secrist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Football run. At 4 p.m., West High staff will begin a football run from the University of Iowa Children’s Hospital Oncology Wing to the West High courtyard where West High and Kennedy fans and families will meet at 5:30 p.m. for a flash mob.
• Balloon release. During the junior varsity game, a biodegradable balloon can be purchased for $2 in honor of those battling cancer. Balloons will be released from the stands at the end of the West High School marching band’s rendition of the Star Spangled Banner, approximately 6:45 p.m.
• Popsicle sales. WHSDM student leaders will sell popsicles before and during the football game.
• Free will donations to WHSDM will be accepted at the football stadium entrance gates.
Other upcoming events include a hair donation drive on Sept. 18 and a Dash for Dashiell 5K on Nov. 26.
The third annual West High School Dance Marathon will be Sunday, Jan. 18, 2015, from 1-6 p.m. in the West High School Cafeteria. In 2013, the inaugural WHSDM raised over $21,000 and in 2014, the event raised over $55,000 for the UI Children’s Hospital and children battling pediatric cancer.