NORTH LIBERTY– In 2010, the City of North Liberty was the first town in Iowa selected to participate in Alliant Energy’s Hometown Rewards program. The goal of the Hometown Rewards program is to reduce energy usage and improve the environment on a community-wide basis by encouraging residents, government, businesses and industries to develop and implement energy initiatives that save money and promote sustainability.
To date, volunteer members of the Hometown Rewards program committee have worked to identify North Liberty’s baseline energy usage for residential, commercial and government sectors and have developed a sustainability plan outlining goals to help improve upon on current energy usage. If North Liberty’s goals are met, Alliant Energy will contribute financially to a “cool city” project that promotes sustainability.
For the next phase of Hometown Rewards, North Liberty is looking for energetic community members to play a key role in the implementation of our Hometown Rewards goals. Committee members will have an opportunity to actively work toward implementing North Liberty’s sustainability plan and will help foster our community’s sustainability culture. We would like a diverse committee representing interests and expertise from education to finance, from development to community outreach, and from the public and private sectors.
Committee member responsibilities include:
• Establish an action plan to accomplish goals.
• Create and implement marketing initiatives to increase awareness and achieve goals.
• Recruit and coordinate volunteers and/or service providers to execute program initiatives.
• Coordinate communication and participation with community members, businesses, local governments and influential organizations in the community.
• Finalize the selection of a community wide project that will be implemented at the end of the program.
• Meet one time per month over the course of the next year.
Are you interested in being a part of planning for a sustainable North Liberty? Please contact Maggie Wiederin by Aug. 15, at firstname.lastname@example.org  or via phone at 319-626-5700 for more information.